Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Swag

A few months ago I was catching up with a friend from my childhood and the topic of spiritual growth came up.  We just reminisced about how young and naive we used to be and what certain points in our lives we decided that just maybe we should pursue a relationship with God.  Somewhere in the conversation I mentioned the word "swag"....and he immediately corrected me saying "swag is haughtiness and God doesn't like prideful people."  He was referencing Proverbs 18:12, which says:"Haughtiness goes before destruction; humility precedes honor." - NLT.  So of course it took me a moment to catch everything that he was saying....because I didn't mean it in a disrespectful way.

According to Urban Dictionary the definition of swag says:
"The way in which you carry yourself. Swag is made up of your overall confidence, style, and demeanor. Swag can also be expanded to be the reputation of your overall swagger. You gain swag, or "Swag up", by performing swag worthy actions that improve this perception. A person can also "swag down," by being an overall p**** and garnering negative swag for their actions. Swag is a subtle thing that many strive to gain but few actually attain. It is reserved for the most swagalicious of people. Swag can also be quantified, with point systems existing in some circles of friends." 

Now when I hear someone mention swag it makes me think of this quote :
"Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become your character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny." 

I realize now that it is so easy for us/me to get caught up in the rhythm of the way things are done in this world.  Whether it's our actions, our thoughts, the music we listen to, what we watch on t.v., etc. but we tend to just fall right in the mix.  Not ever questioning what it all really means and if it lines up with what we really believe.  We all know that life and death are in the power of the tongue (Proverbs 18:21)...but do we really practice that. It took a friend to make me look at what comes out of my mouth. And by no means do I want swag/haughtiness to be my destiny......so I stand corrected!

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer." -- Psalm 19:14



post signature

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post! Though swag is not really a word I like to use, I hadn't thought of it in that manner. Thanks for sharing!

Neish said...

You better preach!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS